Bought the record someting like three weeks ago and still haven't had the chance to listen it through. What's the general opinion on this album?
Finally got my copy of Multiplicity. What a disappointment on the first few listens. Same formula. Nondescript arrangements.
What a difference between this and Synergy, which to me is the best DWB release by far. Come back Jay and Buzz....
Bought the record someting like three weeks ago and still haven't had the chance to listen it through. What's the general opinion on this album?
I had the same first reaction. There are no real risks being taken. However, after a couple of weeks with it in the car it's grown on me a lot. It may be my favourite DWB studio album now.
What a difference between this and Synergy, which to me is the best DWB release by far. Come back Jay and Buzz
I have to disagree. I think this is the best album to date.
IMHO, I think since Weingart joined, it's got better as he uses the rhodes sound and some other great synth sounds. He improvises great. The guy is awesome. Very talented. One of my overall favourites.
You look at Marcus Miller, IMHO he has a particuliar melodic style, whether on Sun don't lie, M2 or Silver Rain. You know it's him. In over 10 yrs between his first and latest album, it hasn't really changed, yet it is still great.
In terms of composition, Dave and the band plays their signature style which I don't think will change. When you put the cd on, the melody alone suggests it's the DWB.
I also think that Paul Pesco played great as well as Richie Garcia, who added a new dimension.
Great sound, playing and musicianship.
Hope no one is offended! Just my views, I know the DWB is a controversial subject on this forum!
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 21, 2005 05:25 PM: Message edited by: timwecklfan ]</font>
I don't know, haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. But my thoughts upon DWB is that it's the tasty combination of Gadd Gang and Weather Report, and it's a necesarry band to maintain a wide-spread vocabulary of comtemporary jazz.
You can't listen to Bad Plus in more than 30 minutes, but DWB makes you eat the music while still beeing able to consentrate on other things, and maybe focus on things in a way you have not done before [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
My fav is still Rythm of the Soul, and the record "Hard Wired" , the last tune on that album called Tribute is so nice, and very musical playing by Dave.
I haven't been diggin Dave for the last 5 years. When I was from 13-15 there was nothing but him, but i kinda lost interest in his music. I enjoy listening to him from time to time, and I just wanna keep it from time to time, not somehing i would listen to every day, but it's although something i couldn't live without not listening to.
I still enjoy his video's though!
You know, Weckl found out who he is! and know is limitations and what he can expand in his own musicianship, and I totally respect that!
Too many drummers searchs new grounds without having their heart for music with them, But Weckl has that and won't trade it for a serious paying gig!
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 21, 2005 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Klemme ]</font>
I also like Multiplicity.
Ev'ry time DWB make a new album, I think it's the best of them.
I must say that Weckl is an awesome and innovative drummer, and the DWB make melodic songs in that "old" fusion style I like so much.
In compareness I don't dig Vinnie's fusion style on his own album (hhmm, "REAL" fusion?!) though he is a fantastic drummer in all styles - same goes for most of the Steve Smith Vital Information.
The point is that Vinnie and Steve are very innovative drum wise (maybe even more than Weckl), but I don't dig their music as I dig the DWB's music.
But on the other hand, all of these opinions can't be other than pretty subjective [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 22, 2005 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Baarts ]</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can't agree more.Originally posted by shedder:
i think multiplicity is a great album too. dave's soloing just gets better and better. my personal favorite is the "transition" album when weingert first joined and dave reinvented his sound.
you have to listen to DWB in a more specific way (melody lines, hits, form, vamps). if you listen to it as a whole, like while doing something else, it all just sounds the same.
Also sent a e-mail to Steve Weingart and he said that he wants to sell his 2nd solo cd through digital distribution like "I-tunes".
I bought Jay Graydon-"Bebop" off I-Tunes and it is highly recommended. This band is really grooves!
I think bebop is so cool. Charlie Parker did jazz a world of good.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 22, 2005 01:08 PM: Message edited by: timwecklfan ]</font>
i think multiplicity is a great album too. dave's soloing just gets better and better. my personal favorite is the "transition" album when weingert first joined and dave reinvented his sound.
you have to listen to DWB in a more specific way (melody lines, hits, form, vamps). if you listen to it as a whole, like while doing something else, it all just sounds the same.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When this happens,Originally posted by Rhythmatist:
I can't wait till DWB comes to Chicago so I can hear this stuff live (and, no doubt, it will have evolved some by then).
for the Love of God please post the info so I can finally see the guy!
I actually think the tunes on Multiplicity are somewhat of a departure from some of the earlier things. It's all good. Hell, it's fantastic! I can't wait till DWB comes to Chicago so I can hear this stuff live (and, no doubt, it will have evolved some by then).
I recently got a ATRAC Walkman where you can record as many as 400 songs on a single CD-R and I put every one of Dave's solo albums and the DWB colection on one CD. Whenever I need a DW fix it's all there!
Bookmarks